Gold Medal Camp
Beginner | Ages 15 & up
A unique 3-day whitewater instruction program taught by Olympic-level instructors and available to paddlers of all skill levels.
Kern River Whitewater Kayaking Camp
Highly acclaimed Kernville “Gold Medal Camps” offer a unique three-day whitewater instruction program to paddlers of all skill levels, ages 15 and up. Two on-water sessions each day, taught by Olympic-level instructors, focus on fundamental skills and are designed to help boaters better their paddling performance.
If you’re a slalom paddler in particular, we recommend you enroll in the first camp, where we have additional opportunities to cater to your specialized needs and interests. Otherwise, both of the camps provide the same individually customized whitewater skill instructional intensive that has inspired our attendees on the Kern River for the past 20 years.
- $600 per person ($575 registration plus a $25 per participant US Forest Service Land Use Fee)
- Bookings after March 15 will have an additional $50 late registration fee
- $100 non-refundable deposit required; no refunds after March 15
- Discount lodging available for camp participants booking before March 15
Schedule & Duration
- Months of operation: March – September
- Starts at 8:30 a.m.
- Three days; six to seven hours per day
- Must be at least 15 years old
- Must weigh between 50 & 275 lbs
- Please meet at the Kern Lodge
- Participant can rent gear at Sierra South in the store. Please call 800-457-2082 to reserve.
- All classes require a minimum number of guests. If participant numbers are not met we will notify you and provide various options for your class to go on
- All of our kayaking trips may be adjusted based on water levels and/or other conditions
Responsibility & Liability
All Sierra South trips and classes involve physical activity and include certain elements of risk. We make every effort to run trips and classes in the finest, most fun-filled manner as possible. However, we cannot guarantee your safety. It is your responsibility to evaluate your level of fitness and to select a trip or class which is appropriate for you. Seek medical advice before your trip if you question your physical condition. It is your responsibility to follow our instructions.
Everyone will be required to sign a release of liability/assumption of risk form and photography/video waiver form before departure. Minors under 18 not accompanied by their parents must bring a release form signed by their parent or legal guardian. Click here to download the Release Form.
Sierra South operates under permits issued by: Sequoia National Forest, Klamath National Forest, and the National Park Service/Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Sierra South is an equal opportunity recreation service provider.
Hours of Operation
Store: 9am – 5pm, Mon-Sun
Reservations: 9am – 5pm, Mon-Fri