The Paddle with Pros Fundamentals course will be catered towards beginner kayakers who are looking to improve their skills with the professionals in the industry.
Paddle with Pros Fundamentals
The fundamentals course will be catered towards beginner kayakers who are looking to improve their skills with the professionals in the industry.
1 day (6-7 hours per day)
The fundamentals course will be catered towards beginner kayakers who are looking to improve their skills, such as the proper forward stroke technique, ferrying, eddy turns, draw strokes, identifying river features, edging, and how to properly outfit your gear. This class will be held on either the class II-III Lickety or Fairview sections of the Kern River. You can count on doing two or three runs on during the day. Upon completion of this class, students will receive a free kayak package rental and be eligible to rent a kayak in the future. What are you waiting for? Come out and learn with the professionals! Classes start at 9:00 am. sharp and are usually over by 4 pm. Lunch and transportation once you get to Sierra South are included.
• Must have at least two days of prior whitewater kayak experience.
• Dress warmly.
• No river roll is required.
• Must fill out a Release of Liability Waiver.
• Students will learn the basic skills necessary to whitewater kayak.
• Learn from professionals in the industry.
• Upon completion of this class, students will receive a free kayak package rental and be eligible to rent a kayak in the future.
• Transportation and lunch are included.
• Sierra South will provide a special rate of $30 for a rental kayak and gear. Selection of rental kayaks is limited. So, book early! Please let us know what kayak and gear you would like to rent.
• Months of operation: April
• Trip Times: 9:00 AM
• Minimums: Age: 14 (Exceptional young paddlers call 800-457-2082 for screening.)
• Maximum Weight: 275 lbs
• Limitations: All classes require a minimum number of guests. If participant numbers are not met we will notify you and provide various options for your class to go.
All of our classes may be adjusted based on water levels and/or other conditions.
What to Bring
• Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your class.
• Please wear shoes that will stay on your feet in the water. No flip-flops or bare-feet. You must wear tennis shoes, water shoes, or sandals that have a heel strap.
• Our trips leave on schedule.
• Price does not include gratuity, so if you like the ride…it’s ok to tip your guide!
No Cancellations. No Refunds. Sierra South is not liable for other costs incurred in association with a canceled trip. We suggest trip insurance such as Travelguard.com to cover any unexpected situations.
Some of our trips require a minimum number of guests to operate. All kayaking classes require a minimum of 4 students. We will attempt to contact you if the minimums have not been met for the activity that you have chosen prior to the trip date. Minimum numbers can be met through one or multiple reservations and can be met up to the day before the trip. You can call 800-457-2082 for up to date trip status.
Water Levels Change:
Trips may be substituted or changed due to water level.
Responsibility & Liability:
All Sierra South trips and classes involve physical activity and include certain elements of risk. We make every effort to run trips and classes in the finest, most fun-filled manner as possible. However, we cannot guarantee your safety. It is your responsibility to evaluate your level of fitness and to select a trip or class which is appropriate for you. Seek medical advice before your trip if you question your physical condition. It is your responsibility to follow our instructions.
Everyone will be required to sign a release of liability/assumption of risk form and photography/video waiver form before departure. Minors under 18 must bring a release form signed by their parent or legal guardian.
No Unaccompanied Minors:
Minors must be accompanied by an adult 18 years or older.
The River Running/Downriver Freestyle clinic is developed for those wanting to improve their overall river running skills and also learn how to paddle the new-age slicey stern river running kayaks with the professionals in the industry.
Click here to view location 11300 Kernville Road
Kernville, California 93238
11300 Kernville Road
Kernville, California 93238
Sierra South operates under permits issued by: Sequoia National Forest, Klamath National Forest, and the National Park Service/Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Sierra South is an equal opportunity recreation service provider.