Whitewater Kayaking 201
Advanced Beginner | Ages 14 & up
201 is for those who completed 101, or who can boat comfortably in Class II water & self-rescue, with working knowledge of the Eskimo roll.
Advanced Whitewater Kayaking Class
The majority of the class is spent on moving water, with a morning at the lake as a refresher. Our river time starts with refining basic paddle strokes, eddy turns, and ferry angles. We then introduce advanced strokes, surfing, and more difficult eddy turns and peel-outs.
If your 101 class did not include a third day, we recommend you take a 101 AM Lake Roll/PM Tune-Up, or repeat a 101 class before taking this class.
As in our 101 class we offer an optional third day of instruction. All it takes is three enthusiastic paddlers that would rather get in an extra day on the Kern River, rather than endure the Monday morning commute. You can work on your roll, ferries, eddy-turns, and surf a wave or two!
Schedule & Duration
- Months of operation: March – September
- Classes start at 8:30 a.m. sharp and are usually over by 4 p.m.
- Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your class
- Two to three days; six to seven hours per day
- Must be at least 14 years old
- Must weigh between 50 and 275 lbs.
- Please wear shoes that will stay on your feet in the water, such as tennis shoes, water shoes, or sandals that have a heel strap. No flip-flops or bare-feet!
- Upon completion of this whitewater kayaking class, students will receive a Certificate of Completion, plus a free kayak package rental and be eligible to rent a kayak in the future
- Included: Paddling equipment, lunch, and transportation once you get to Sierra South
- All classes require a minimum number of guests. If participant numbers are not met we will notify you and provide various options for your class to go on
- All of our kayaking trips may be adjusted based on water levels and/or other conditions
Responsibility & Liability
All Sierra South trips and classes involve physical activity and include certain elements of risk. We make every effort to run trips and classes in the finest, most fun-filled manner as possible. However, we cannot guarantee your safety. It is your responsibility to evaluate your level of fitness and to select a trip or class which is appropriate for you. Seek medical advice before your trip if you question your physical condition. It is your responsibility to follow our instructions.
Everyone will be required to sign a release of liability/assumption of risk form and photography/video waiver form before departure. Minors under 18 not accompanied by their parents must bring a release form signed by their parent or legal guardian. Click here to download the Release Form.
Sierra South operates under permits issued by: Sequoia National Forest, Klamath National Forest, and the National Park Service/Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Sierra South is an equal opportunity recreation service provider.
Hours of Operation
Store: 9am – 5pm, Mon-Sun
Reservations: 9am – 5pm, Mon-Fri