Boaters Rescue Course
Advanced Beginner | Ages 16 & up
This two-day comprehensive course is for those wanting to learn the specifics of river rescue and other useful river skills.
Sierra South Rescue Course
This course is designed for Class II and above kayakers, rafters, canoeists, and open-toppers that want to learn specifics of river rescue. The class starts indoors, but most of our time will be spent “hands-on” in Riverside Park learning many first responder techniques, such as how to set up zip lines, effective throwbag use, knot-tying practice, real-life rescue management, Z-Drags, and more.
Schedule & Duration
- Months of operation: March – September
- Begins at 8:30 a.m. sharp
- Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your class
- Lasts two days (six to seven hours per day)
- Must be at least a class II boater and a minimum of 16 years old
- Must weigh between 50 and 275 lbs.
- Student must provide their own canoe or kayak; we provide rafts only
- Please wear shoes that will stay on your feet in the water, such as tennis shoes, water shoes, or sandals that have a heel strap. No flip-flops or bare-feet!
- Identify if rafter, kayaker, or canoeist when booking
- All classes require a minimum number of guests. If participant numbers are not met we will notify you and provide various options for your class to go; space is limited
- Course includes lunches, videos, and use of major rescue gear
- All of our classes may be adjusted based on water levels and/or other conditions.
Responsibility & Liability
All Sierra South trips and classes involve physical activity and include certain elements of risk. We make every effort to run trips and classes in the finest, most fun-filled manner as possible. However, we cannot guarantee your safety. It is your responsibility to evaluate your level of fitness and to select a trip or class which is appropriate for you. Seek medical advice before your trip if you question your physical condition. It is your responsibility to follow our instructions.
Everyone will be required to sign a release of liability/assumption of risk form and photography/video waiver form before departure. Minors under 18 not accompanied by their parents must bring a release form signed by their parent or legal guardian. Click here to download the Release Form.
Sierra South operates under permits issued by: Sequoia National Forest, Klamath National Forest, and the National Park Service/Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Sierra South is an equal opportunity recreation service provider.
Hours of Operation
Store: 9am – 5pm, Mon-Sun
Reservations: 9am – 5pm, Mon-Fri