Raft Guide School Class II-III
Beginner | Ages 16 & up
This is a class for those interested in becoming a Sierra South guide for the Class II - III section of the Upper Kern.
Become a Class II – III Whitewater Raft Guide
Interested in guiding to earn money? This class is for those that would like to guide the Class II-III Lickety Split section of the Upper Kern River for Sierra South’s rafting season. This course gives a beginning rafter the foundation necessary to become a commercial Class I-III whitewater guide. No prior experience is necessary.
Schedule & Duration
- Months of operation: March – April
- Guide School Tryouts: March 24 & 25, 2018
- Guide School: March 26-30, 2018; 6-7 hours per day
- Classes begin at 8 am
- Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your class
- Must be at least 16 years old to be qualified to guide
- You may be 15 if you will turn 16 in the early part of the rafting season (May – June)
- Guides must pass a 1st-Aid/CPR course in addition to guide school; there is an additional charge for this
- Must weigh between 50 and 275 lbs.
- Please wear shoes that will stay on your feet in the water, such as tennis shoes, water shoes, or sandals that have a heel strap. No flip-flops or bare-feet!
- All rafting gear and transportation is provided
- All classes require a minimum number of guests. If participant numbers are not met we will notify you and provide various options for your class to go on
- All of our trips may be adjusted based on water levels and/or other conditions
Responsibility & Liability
All Sierra South trips and classes involve physical activity and include certain elements of risk. We make every effort to run trips and classes in the finest, most fun-filled manner as possible. However, we cannot guarantee your safety. It is your responsibility to evaluate your level of fitness and to select a trip or class which is appropriate for you. Seek medical advice before your trip if you question your physical condition. It is your responsibility to follow our instructions.
Everyone will be required to sign a release of liability/assumption of risk form and photography/video waiver form before departure. Minors under 18 not accompanied by their parents must bring a release form signed by their parent or legal guardian. Click here to download the Release Form.
Sierra South operates under permits issued by: Sequoia National Forest, Klamath National Forest, and the National Park Service/Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Sierra South is an equal opportunity recreation service provider.
Hours of Operation
Store: 9am – 5pm, Mon-Sun
Reservations: 9am – 5pm, Mon-Fri