Thunder-Run Full Day Rafting
Class V | Ages 16 & up
The Thunder-Run Full Day offers intrepid river runners a full day of Class V whitewater rafting, our most challenging trip.
Challenging Whitewater Rafting on the Kern River
For a short time in the spring, the Upper Kern River snowmelt offers the one-day Class V Thunder-Run. The “Thundy” season is typically mid-April through mid-July.
For the adventure seekers, the Thunder-Run is the most difficult one-day rafting trip we offer. With continuous class IV-V rapids with names like Sock’em Dog, Squashed Paddler, and Fender Bender you get your fill of huge whitewater and come away with some great stories to tell your grandkids.
Schedule & Duration
- Months of operation: April – July
- Available at 8:30 a.m.
- Six to seven hours
- All Thunder-Run participants must be physically fit, good swimmers, and have previous class IV experience
- A Class V Paddlers Evaluation is required prior to running Class V whitewater
- Wetsuits are required on all Class V trips
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Must weigh between 50 and 300 lbs.
- Please wear shoes that will stay on your feet in the water, such as tennis shoes, water shoes, or sandals that have a heel strap. No flip-flops or bare-feet!
- Max group size: 25 guests
- A hearty river-side deli lunch is served mid-day
- We suggest you arrive at the store 30 minutes prior to your trip. If you have a group over 20 or are getting wetsuits, please arrive 45 minutes to one hour prior.
- This run is highly sensitive to high or low water conditions. Please contact us for up-to-the-minute water conditions.
- All classes require a minimum number of guests. If participant numbers are not met we will notify you and provide various options for your class to go on.
- All of our Southern California whitewater rafting trips may be adjusted based on water levels and/or other conditions.
Responsibility & Liability
All Sierra South trips and classes involve physical activity and include certain elements of risk. We make every effort to run trips and classes in the finest, most fun-filled manner as possible. However, we cannot guarantee your safety. It is your responsibility to evaluate your level of fitness and to select a trip or class which is appropriate for you. Seek medical advice before your trip if you question your physical condition. It is your responsibility to follow our instructions.
Everyone will be required to sign a release of liability/assumption of risk form and photography/video waiver form before departure. Minors under 18 not accompanied by their parents must bring a release form signed by their parent or legal guardian. Click here to download the Release Form.
Sierra South operates under permits issued by: Sequoia National Forest, Klamath National Forest, and the National Park Service/Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Sierra South is an equal opportunity recreation service provider.
Hours of Operation
Store: 9am – 5pm, Mon-Sun
Reservations: 9am – 5pm, Mon-Fri