River Manager – Seasonal
Location: Kernville, CA
Schedule: Full-Time Seasonal: Feb 1st, 2024 – End of Season
Pay Rate: $23-$27hr
Positions Open: One
Applications Open: Apply Today!
Why not work for the best adventure guide company in the state of California? Employees enjoy consistent work where they help make lifetime memories for their guests daily. Our positive and energetic culture has led to countless memories and friendships that last a lifetime!
- Three free adventure trips for family and friends with Sierra South
- ProForm Deals Available on brands we carry in the retail shop.
- 30% off in the retail store
Job Overview: The River Manager will oversee aspects related to the daily functioning of river trips and guide performance.
Job Duties: Understand and serve the company’s best interest and goals
- Communicate Sierra South company policies, mission, vision, and core values to the river staff
- Be an example of these values
- Supervise all guiding & transportation staff
- Work with the General Manager & Director of Operations to continue to develop skills as a manager and logistical planner
- Become proficient at every job related to river operations
- Food prep
- Kayak School Operations
- Equipment repair and organization
- Driving Routes
- Evacuation Plans
- Monitor guide performance
- Ensure that Trip Leaders conduct trip debriefs
- Address guide staff concerns and create a positive and productive working relationship between the guides and the rest of the staff.
- Conduct weekly team meetings with trip leaders – this will allow an avenue for staff to voice their concerns.
- Assist Director of Operations with Mid-season and end-of-season guide staff performance reviews
- Daily pick up of trash around the property.
- Ensure that the guide staff is trained in a high level of guest service that will facilitate success
- Manage successful river training
- Conduct weekly safety meetings with TLs
- Assist with monthly staff meetings
- Trip lead on most of your trips
- Set the example for how clean, safe, and professional trips are run
- Ensure guides are performing at or above company standards
- Obtain a strong knowledge of all applicable regulations
- USFS permitting and regulations
- CA State Labor Laws
- Maintain complete and accurate records – this includes but is not limited to
- Guide records
- USFS use records
- Equipment maintenance
- Monitor fleet performance
- If drivers notice mechanical abnormalities contact the Director of Operations and Transportation Manager to coordinate maintenance
- If guides notice abnormalities in equipment contact the Director of Operations to coordinate maintenance
- Strong understanding of emergency protocols for all possible scenarios involving vehicle problems, guest issues, weather extremes, road closures, river closures, guide injuries, guest injuries, etc.
- Provide verbal and written records of any policy or safety violations and report them to the General Manager and Director of Operations.
- Achieve a proficient level of knowledge of Fareharbor(reservation system)
- Ensure a schedule is created each day for upcoming trips with the strongest teams possible under the supervision of the General Manager.
- Check the bookings each morning and adjust the schedule to accommodate changes under the supervision of the General Manager.
- Communicate with the sales office to determine maximum capacities and operational changes based on water levels and staffing.
- Communicate any operational and guest service issues that arise to the Director of Operations and General Manager
- Maintain a superior level of cleanliness in all vehicles and office
- Facilitate communication between staff and upper management
- Break down and clean all river-related equipment at the end of the season
- Inspect and repair all river gear
- Inventory all river equipment
- Clean all buses and vans
Required Experience & Skills
- Ability to communicate effectively across departments
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Ability to interact in a friendly and comfortable manner with supervisors and employees via phone and in-person
- Extremely detailed oriented
- Intermediate computer skills
- Team oriented
- Must be willing to work long and hard work days during the busy season
- Must be available for weekends and holidays
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
- Instill confidence and motivate staff
- Clean driving record
- First Aid
- Maintain a professional and clean appearance
Preferred Experience & Skills
- Class IV or higher river guide
- WFA or Higher
If you are interested in joining the Sierra South team, please apply today! Sierra South strives to deliver the highest level of guest service while bringing awareness and understanding of the surrounding wilderness to our guests. As leaders in our industry, we set examples in safety, professionalism, outdoor skills, and guest service, while providing low-impact environmental recreation. Apply Today!
Sierra South Mountain Sports is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.