Getting to Sierra South and the Kern River
Sierra South and the Kern River is the closest whitewater rafting destination to Southern California. Located a short 3 hours away from Los Angeles, Kernville is your next favorite vacation destination.
How far is the Kern River from Los Angeles?
- Kernville, and the Wild and Scenic Kern River, is between 160 and 185 miles from Los Angeles depending on what route you take.
- Driving North on Interstate 5 to Bakersfield and then taking Highway 178 through the Canyon on the Lower Kern is the shortest drive in terms of distance.
- The other popular option is to drive north on Highway14 toward Lancaster and Ridgecrest. Before Inyokern, turn left on the 178 and wind through the mountains towards Kernville.
How far is the Kern River from San Diego?
- Kernville, and the Wild and Scenic Kern River is between 280 and 300 miles from San Diego.
- Drive North on the 15 and 215 toward San Bernardino before linking up with the 395 and pushing on to Inyokern. In Inyokern, take the 178 west through the mountains and into the Kern Valley. The other option is to take the 5 North toward LA and then choose whether to continue on toward Bakersfield on the 99 and the 178 or take the 14 North toward Lancaster and cut over on the 178 before reaching Inyokern.
How far is the Kern River from Bakersfield?
- Kernville, and the Wild and Scenic Kern River is about 50 miles from Bakersfield and takes a little over an hour.
- It is an easy drive north on the 178 through the canyon of the Lower Kern. Taking the 155 outside of Lake Isabella will wrap you around the west side of the lake and into Kernville.
How far is the Kern River from Las Vegas?
- The Kern River is 294 miles from Las Vegas.
- From Vegas take Interstate 15 West toward Barstow.
- Just past Barstow, you will merge onto Highway 58 for approximately 38 miles.
- Turn onto Highway 395 toward Ridgecrest.
- Just before Inyokern, you will turn onto highway 178 towards Lake Isabella and Kernville