Forks of the Kern Kayaking Trip
Expert | Ages 16 & up
Sierra South offers elite kayakers the chance to join our Forks of the Kern rafting trips on a limited space available status.
Expert Whitewater Kayaking Trip
We supply a kayaking instructor to show you the lines and particular challenges of the Forks on our two and three-day trips. This is for the avid kayaker looking for some pointers in reading and running one of the best Class V sections of whitewater in California. Overnight gear is carried on the rafts.
Schedule & Duration
- Months of operation: March – September
- Available daily starting at 7 a.m.
- Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your trip
- Two to three days; six to seven hours per day
- *For expert kayakers only: You must have considerable Class IV or better kayaking experiences, a solid river roll, and excellent self-rescue and portaging skills
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Must weigh between 50 and 275 lbs.
- Please wear shoes that will stay on your feet in the water, such as tennis shoes, water shoes, or sandals that have a heel strap. No flip-flops or bare-feet!
- Kayaks and paddling gear not included. Kayaks are available for rent on a first-come basis.
- Meals are provided
- All classes require a minimum number of guests. If participant numbers are not met we will notify you and provide various options for your class to go on
- All of our advanced whitewater kayaking trips may be adjusted based on water levels and/or other conditions
Responsibility & Liability
All Sierra South trips and classes involve physical activity and include certain elements of risk. We make every effort to run trips and classes in the finest, most fun-filled manner as possible. However, we cannot guarantee your safety. It is your responsibility to evaluate your level of fitness and to select a trip or class which is appropriate for you. Seek medical advice before your trip if you question your physical condition. It is your responsibility to follow our instructions.
Everyone will be required to sign a release of liability/assumption of risk form and photography/video waiver form before departure. Minors under 18 not accompanied by their parents must bring a release form signed by their parent or legal guardian. Click here to download the Release Form.
Sierra South operates under permits issued by: Sequoia National Forest, Klamath National Forest, and the National Park Service/Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Sierra South is an equal opportunity recreation service provider.
Hours of Operation
Store: 9am – 5pm, Mon-Sun
Reservations: 9am – 5pm, Mon-Fri