Forks of the Kern Raft Trip
Class IV-V | Ages 16 & up
The 2-3 day Forks of the Kern is the most difficult and remote run we offer, and one of the premier wilderness whitewater rafting trips in the USA.
Kern River Multi-Day Whitewater Rafting Trip
This trip offers continuous Class IV-V whitewater for 17 miles with big rapids like Upper Freeman, Vortex, Gauntlet, and Carson Falls. The spectacular Sierra scenery includes views of the Needles and the granite-lined gorge you’re traveling through as well as brief side hikes to waterfalls such as Freeman Falls, Peppermint Falls, and Dry Meadow Teacups. Gourmet outdoor meals are prepared by the guides at camp while you try your luck catching an elusive native golden trout.
Schedule & Duration
- Months of operation: March – September
- Available daily starting at 7 a.m.
- Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your trip
- Two to three days; six to seven hours per day
- All participants must be physically fit, good swimmers, and have previous Class IV experience
- A Class V Paddler’s Evaluation is required prior to running Class V whitewater
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Must weigh between 50 and 275 lbs.
- Please wear shoes that will stay on your feet in the water, such as tennis shoes, water shoes, or sandals that have a heel strap. No flip-flops or bare-feet!
- Max group size: 15 guests
- Wetsuits and dry-bags are included on our Forks trips
- Gourmet outdoor meals are prepared by the guides at camp
- All classes require a minimum number of guests. If participant numbers are not met we will notify you and provide various options for your class to go on
- All of our trips may be adjusted based on water levels and/or other conditions
Responsibility & Liability
All Sierra South trips and classes involve physical activity and include certain elements of risk. We make every effort to run trips and classes in the finest, most fun-filled manner as possible. However, we cannot guarantee your safety. It is your responsibility to evaluate your level of fitness and to select a trip or class which is appropriate for you. Seek medical advice before your trip if you question your physical condition. It is your responsibility to follow our instructions.
Everyone will be required to sign a release of liability/assumption of risk form and photography/video waiver form before departure. Minors under 18 not accompanied by their parents must bring a release form signed by their parent or legal guardian. Click here to download the Release Form.
Sierra South operates under permits issued by: Sequoia National Forest, Klamath National Forest, and the National Park Service/Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Sierra South is an equal opportunity recreation service provider.
Hours of Operation
Store: 8am – 6pm, Daily
Reservations: 9am – 5pm, Mon-Fri