Raft Guide School Class IV
Beginner | Ages 18 & up
This is a class for those interested in becoming Sierra South guides for the Class IV section of the Upper Kern.
Learn to Guide Class IV Whitewater Rafting
Class IV whitewater Guide School is for those who would like to work on the more demanding Class IV section of the Upper Kern for the upcoming rafting season. This Guide School has more intensive training geared toward advanced guide skills, river reading, river rescue, safety, and much more.
Completion of this course is required to commercially guide for us. However, it does not guarantee a whitewater position with Sierra South. You do not have to be interested in professionally guiding to take this course. Many private rafters will take this course to improve their boating skills by learning from professional raft guides.
Schedule & Duration
- Months of operation: April – May
- Guide School: May 1-6, 2018; six to seven hours per day
- Classes begin at 8 a.m.
- Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your class
- Must be at least 18 years old to be qualified to guide
- Guides must pass a 1st-Aid/CPR course in addition to guide school; there is an additional charge for this
- Must weigh between 50 and 275 lbs.
- Please wear shoes that will stay on your feet in the water, such as tennis shoes, water shoes, or sandals that have a heel strap. No flip-flops or bare-feet!
- All rafting gear and transportation is provided
- All classes require a minimum number of guests. If participant numbers are not met we will notify you and provide various options for your class to go on
- All of our whitewater rafting trips may be adjusted based on water levels and/or other conditions
Responsibility & Liability
All Sierra South trips and classes involve physical activity and include certain elements of risk. We make every effort to run trips and classes in the finest, most fun-filled manner as possible. However, we cannot guarantee your safety. It is your responsibility to evaluate your level of fitness and to select a trip or class which is appropriate for you. Seek medical advice before your trip if you question your physical condition. It is your responsibility to follow our instructions.
Everyone will be required to sign a release of liability/assumption of risk form and photography/video waiver form before departure. Minors under 18 not accompanied by their parents must bring a release form signed by their parent or legal guardian. Click here to download the Release Form.
Sierra South operates under permits issued by: Sequoia National Forest, Klamath National Forest, and the National Park Service/Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Sierra South is an equal opportunity recreation service provider.
Hours of Operation
Store: 9am – 5pm, Mon-Sun
Reservations: 9am – 5pm, Mon-Fri